From the Western Gazette
Less than a week after Travellers moved off a site in Titchfield more have pitched up in a new part of the village.
Several Travellers set up their caravans at the car park by Barry’s Meadow yesterday (April 27) – one week after a travelling encampment pitched up at the recreational ground car park in Mill Lane and moved off the site on Monday.
Fareham Borough Council leader, Councillor Sean Woodward, said the council officers will be going through the same process as before by getting a court order eviction notice.
“This is council owned land so we’ll be going through the exact same procedure as before,” he said.
“Once we’ve been able to go to court to get an order, they will be served with an eviction notice and be asked to move on.
“It’s just appalling. We’ve got 112,000 residents in houses in the borough and they all pay their council tax and shouldn’t have to deal with those who turn up on their land.
“I don’t see why it’s not a criminal offence.”
When Travellers arrived in the borough last year Cllr Woodward spoke to government ministers and Prime Minister David Cameron about the issue and has asked for there to be legislation made to make trespassing illegal.
“It’s an on-going dialogue involving our local members of parliament,” added Cllr Woodward. “I’m chasing it up regularly.
“It’s not just Fareham where it’s a problem. I’m not the only one complaining.
“I’m just fed up that we’re constantly having to spend taxpayer’s money on clearing the sites and cleaning up after them.”